Tuesday, September 23, 2008

grammar

Hi all! I finally figured this out! Better late than never. Here are my 6 vocabulary words:
1. verbs- things someone can do
2. tense- when something is done
3. comprehension- understanding a concept
4. multiword verbs- is more than one verb and more than one particles.
5. formality- the context in which something is said
6. avoid- not doing something

Directions: Read each sentence below. Use the 6 vocabulary words above to fill in the blanks below.

1. She wanted to ________ the boy because they did not like each other.

2. Running is called a _______ in grammar.

3. Lanna's ___________ was low because she did not understand the story.

4. The _________ in which she said that was inappropriate!

5. What is the past _____ of "to do?"

6. The teacher explained that __________ ________ is more than one verb with more than one particle.

I have been having a great week so far. My students are great and are eager to learn. We had professional development in Math today and I found it to be helpful considering there is a lot to choose from the teacher's manual. I hope everyone is well. See you in class.

The sentence "I have been having a great week so far" can be somewhat confusing. The words have and having together may confuse an ELL. I would teach them that to have is something that I possess and the word having means that so far my week has been going well.

Excerise: Read the above paragraph and rewrite a sentence that you think needs revision.

1 comment:

Teacher: Jackie said...

I am glad you figured it out. You don't have to provide grammar metalanguage as vocabulary words. You can write the passage first and take words from the passage.

I liked reading about your students and the math workshop.

Keep blogging! Maybe Zoe would like to help you.