Monday, December 1, 2008

Too many assessments

Welcome to December! I can not believe it's December already! I am trying not to get stressed but I just don't understand why teacher's have to give so many assessments. I mean I understand why we have to, but the time to have 26 children to do them is very limited. Before the December vacation, the teachers in my school have to do formal running records for each student as well as another assessment which is also through Teacher's College. We are only really suppose to do them during reading workshop, but hello, that's only a fraction of a period a day. I was thinking of taking some of my prep periods to test these kids! I know I don't have to but I don't like being late with handing things in that is due at work. Administration needs to better work with teachers in order for these assessments to be accurately completed in a realistic time period. For you who are not teaching, these are just some things that you must deal with yearly. Overall, don't worry, you can do it! See you all in class.

December- 12th month of the year
vacation- having a limited of time off to relax
assessments- tests that illustrates a child's academic level
Teacher's College- a literacy program used to enhance reading and writing skills
administration- a group of people who lead a school
running records- a reading assessment that tests a child's reading level

1. I love the month of ______, it is festive for the holidays.
2. Everyone needs a ________, a time to set free from everyday life.
3. Students must take a variety of _______. These will demonstrate what they know and what they need assistance with.
4. The school I work at uses the literacy program called _____ ______.
5. The ________ of schools make critical decisions for their teachers and students.
6. Every 3 months, _______ _______ are administered to determine students' reading levels.

There are 2 types of clauses. One is called the non-defining clause which is part of a sentence that contains "extra" information that can be taken out and still make sense. The second clause is called a defining clause which is a sentence that does not have "extra" information and can stand alone. Look at the above paragraph and determine if each sentence is a non-defining or defining clause.

1 comment:

Teacher: Jackie said...

It is frustrating to have so many assessments. We seem to live to test.

I am glad you are continuing to work on defining and non-defining clauses. Practice makes perfect, though there may be some ambiguity.

Keep up the good work with your students, but try not to give up your prep time because it is good to rest.