Wednesday, October 29, 2008

why? why? why?

Okay, so why is it that it take administration so long to return important emails, notes, and so on? Yes, I know they're busy, but guess what? If it wasn't for their teachers, the students wouldn't learn! I'm ranting and raving because for about two months now I have been pulling teeth to get one of my beginner Ell's referred because of her hearing impairment. She is a bright girl and was a new students in my class at the end of last year. My goal with her last year was to break her out of her shell because she was new to our country and was scared. This year, I have reached my goal and she participates, communicates with her peers, and comes to me. The problem now is, she came into my class this year with hearing aides in each ear and still can not hear! Since her language proficiency level is so low, I have to start with the letters and sounds. Since she can not fully hear the sounds, she is not saying the sounds the way they should be said. In addition, her math skills are very limited. She can not compute 2+2. I have done everything I possibly could do at this point. I have tried to get in touch with her mother, but she's not available. I've had the office call as well. I left 3 notes in my A.P.'s mailbox, and of course nothing was done. Finally, I emailed my principal because she would actually do something! Although she mentioned her concern to my AP... guess what? Nothing has been done! Why does this happen? How can people sleep at night knowing a child is "falling through the cracks?" I know I am doing all I can but it bothers me that they are having a nice, restful sleep, while I'm laying in bed trying to figure out what to do next! Why? I say WHY? Anyway, see you in class have a great weekend.

mentioned- to quickly tell somebody something
compute- figure out
principal- a person in charge of a school
email- a way for people to communicate through the computer
class- a group of people who meet and learn together
student- someone who learns

As I ran through the hallway, I ______ that I was going to be late to the meeting.
In math, students ______, or figure out the answer to a number problem.
The _________ makes an announcement over the loud speaker every morning before school begins.
I like to ______ my professors. It is a quick and easy way to communicate through the computer.
The fifth grade ______ studied the solar system in Science.
I will always be a _________; I will continue to learn.

Idioms are sayings that people use to express their feelings. Many idioms sound very funny (ex. it's raining cats and dogs) and should not be taken literally. Read the paragraph above and locate the idioms. Write down what you think the writer meant to say in other words. Have a ball!!

1 comment:

Vrivero said...

I absolutely agree with you. I do not have the same circumstance as you, but I work here at Molloy and I have noticed that when I email and call teachers about my program, most of the time I do not get a response. I have gotten used to it hahaha.